Baby Gear – Equipment Your Baby Needs
Planning for your new baby can be a lot of fun, but it can also be overwhelming. There are so many things made for babies and so many choices – how do you know what you need? How do you know what is best?
Here are some articles/reviews on baby gear & supplies:
- Newborn baby checklist – What You Should Have For A Newborn
- Baby Swing Reviews
- 5 Best Travel Systems for Babies
- Itzbeen Baby Care Timer Review
- Top 6 Baby Swings That Plug In
- Motorola MBP36 Video Baby Monitor Review
- Baby Hiking Backpacks
If this is your first baby, then you will need to get many things – everything from clothing to furniture to car seats and other baby stuff. You should start off with the essential things and then add things as your budget allows.
What are the essentials?
1. A place for your baby to sleep. Depending on what you want to do – you may want to start with a bassinet. These are great if you want your baby in your bedroom with you for a while, since they are a lot smaller than a crib. Eventually you will need a crib. Again, depending on your living space and on your budget, you may choose a regular crib, a portable crib or a crib that later you can convert into a toddler bed.
2. A dresser / changing table. Choose one that is good quality. Check out the reviews other parents have given it. It can be very frustrating to be in the middle of changing your baby to have the dresser drawer get stuck and not open.
3. A car seat. Since it is the law for babies to be in car seats, a car seat is a must. Again, look at reviews to learn what other parents like. If you have a small car, you may want to be aware of the dimensions of the car seat you are looking at since some can get quite large.
4. A stroller. Whether you are going shopping or for a walk in the park, a stroller is great to have. Choose one that fits your lifestyle. If you jog, then consider a jogging stroller. If you live in an area where there are more trails and dirt roads, then choose a stroller with wheels that can handle that type of terrain. But if you live in the city with sidewalks, then you may choose an entirely different stroller. You may want to consider a travel system – a stroller car seat combination. These can be very nice to have too.
5. A glider / rocker or other comfortable chair. If you can afford it, this is a must. Babies love to be rocked. And it is really nice to have a comfortable place to sit when you are tired and your little one simply wants to be held. A glider is also a great place to nurse or bottle feed your baby.
Not only will you need baby equipment like that listed above, you also need clothing, blankets, diapers, bath supplies and other supplies. Many times these are the things that get given as gifts for baby showers and when your baby is born. Yet it can be good to get some things ahead of time so that you know you will have them. You can get a list of newborn essentials here.